Sunday, March 13, 2022

Prayer for Getting Rid of Negative Thoughts

 
Parashat Tzav

Prayer for Getting Rid of Negative Thoughts
 
Almighty G-d, let me face You like the first man,
returning to Your Presence the best that I can!
 
I may have mastered rectifying my actions to a certain extent.
Yet when it comes to my thoughts, I’m extremely discontent.
 
Hashem, I feel completely powerless in this domain.
Please help me from unwanted thoughts to abstain!
 
Burn away with holy fire
any negative desire!
 
Help me depressing emotions revert,
to steer clear of feeling needlessly hurt!
 
Spare me from coveting the neighbor’s grass,
or from judging the student coming late to class!
 
Let the sour memories of old and recent clashes
dissolve and disintegrate into powdery ashes!
 
Help me overcome any destructive thought,
that only makes me feel down and distraught!
 
Hashem, I cry out to You to remove sadness and despair!
Empower me with the strength for every challenge to bear!
 
Of Your goodness strengthen me to become aware!
This will help me accept that life isn’t always fair.  
 
Why do we have such a need to blame?
Allow me to let go of guilt and shame!
 
What does it help to feel that I’m no good?
worrying about all the things that I should?
 
Let any hardship or interaction that may seem mean,
be considered a burnt offering wiping my slate clean!
 
May I become renewed with happy thoughts begun,
like a flourishing, green sprout reaching for the sun!


Based on the Book of Vayikra Chapter 6 verse 2-18 and Chapter 7 verse 1. 
ספר ויקרא פרק ו פסוק ב
...זֹאת תּוֹרַת הָעֹלָה הִוא הָעֹלָה עַל מוֹקְדָה עַל הַמִּזְבֵּחַ כָּל הַלַּיְלָה עַד הַבֹּקֶר וְאֵשׁ הַמִּזְבֵּחַ תּוּקַד בּוֹ:

“This is the law of the burnt offering: That is the burnt offering which burns on the altar all night until morning, and the fire of the altar shall burn with it” (Vayikra 6:2). 

ספר ויקרא פרק ו פסוק ו  אֵשׁ תָּמִיד תּוּקַד עַל הַמִּזְבֵּחַ לֹא תִכְבֶּה:
“A continuous fire shall burn upon the altar; it shall not go out” (Vayikra 6:6).

 
ספר ויקרא פרק ו פסוק יח דַּבֵּר אֶל אַהֲרֹן וְאֶל בָּנָיו לֵאמֹר זֹאת תּוֹרַת הַחַטָּאת בִּמְקוֹם אֲשֶׁר תִּשָּׁחֵט הָעֹלָה תִּשָּׁחֵט הַחַטָּאת לִפְנֵי הָשֵׁם קֹדֶשׁ קָדָשִׁים הִוא:
“Speak to Aharon and to his sons, saying, This is the law of the sin offering: The sin offering shall be slaughtered before the Eternal in the place where the burnt offering is slaughtered. It is a holy of holies” (Vayikra 6:18). 

ספר ויקרא פרק ז פסוק א וְזֹאת תּוֹרַת הָאָשָׁם קֹדֶשׁ קָדָשִׁים הוּא:
“And this is the law of the guilt offering. It is a holy of holies” (Vayikra 7:1).
 
מדרש ויקרא רבה פרק ז פסקה ג
גופא אמר רשב"י לעולם אין העולה באה אלא על הרהור הלב...
Rabbi Shimon bar Yochai said: The burnt offering always comes (as atonement) for thoughts of the heart… (Midrash Vayikra Rabbah 7:3). 









No comments:

Post a Comment