Tuesday, November 3, 2009

PEACE IS GREATER THAN TRUTH

“Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, ‘After I am faded shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also’? And Hashem said to Avraham, why did Sarah laugh, saying, shall I really bear, I being old?” (Bereishit 18:12-13) Rashi points out that G-d changed Sarah's words when addressing Avraham. Rather than quote Sarah's words – “…and my lord being old…” Scripture changes her words to maintain peace between them. From here we learn that one is permitted to change the truth for the sake of preserving peace between people. Rabbi S. R. Hirsch expresses a romantic outlook on marriage. He explains that no matter how old the husband may be, it is preferable that he doesn't know that his wife considers him old. To each other, husband and wife must forever remain youthful.

No comments:

Post a Comment