Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Lech Lecha Without Goodbye


Parashat Lech Lecha
Printable Version

Lech Lecha Without Goodbye

Abba, to an unknown world you took a stroll,
you went to yourself – to the essence of your soul.
To your eternal resting place where you dwell,
leaving me alone without kissing me farewell.

Abba, how I long to know how well you fared.
Thinking about the sweet memories we shared.
Even when you left some of your mind behind,
your spirit taught me how to let go and unwind.

From childhood, you were my pillar of strength.
You taught me how the world works at length.
I relied on you. There was nothing you did not know.
How could I accept that one day you would have to go?

Abba, to an unknown world you took a stroll,
you went to yourself – to the essence of your soul.
To your eternal resting place where you dwell,
leaving me alone without kissing me farewell.

The deepest pain in my heart, I confided.
You put your arm around me when I cried.
You were always there for me right by my side.
But who could ever comfort me when you died?

I cried when they brought you to a home.
You continued to sing ‘hevenu shalom.’
You were so present, love shone from your eyes.
I did not realize how swiftly time flies.

We would dance, laugh, sing and play.
You escaped the home but didn’t stray.
You walked the path. You knew the way
to your real home without delay.

Abba, to an unknown world you took a stroll,
you went to yourself – to the essence of your soul.
To your eternal resting place where you dwell,
leaving me alone without kissing me farewell.

They ensured that these escapades would stop.
No more going out, even with mother to shop.
You were like a lion that couldn’t be caged.
Not allowed to come and go made you enraged.

They were breaking your Jewish pride
Your anger would no longer subside.
They kept placing inside of your mug,
one calming, sedating drug after drug.

No one told me, I was kept in the dark.
I was helpless far away from Denmark.
In vain wanting to kidnap and bring you here,
to your great grandchildren that you hold dear.

When they told me that you were deep in sleep.
I could not find rest my grief was too deep.
I wanted to sing for you, pray and hold your hand.
But there were no flight that day from Israel’s land.

They didn’t even give a drop to keep you alive,
Until the daughters from Israel would arrive.
More morphine to take away the pain,
so you would never open your eyes again.

When I finally arrived, it was all over.
All I could do was your face to cover.
How I wanted to be with you when you left your body below,
to accompany you on the last journey that you would go.

Abba, to an unknown world you took a stroll,
you went to yourself – to the essence of your soul.
To your eternal resting place where you dwell,
leaving me alone without kissing me farewell.

12 comments:

  1. So beautiful Rebbetzin. May H-Shem bring you comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hashem yinacheim eschem bsoch shaar aveilay Tzion vYershalaim.So sorry for your loss...your special Abba alav hashalom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deepest sympathies for your loss. Thank you for sharing these beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet he will continue on through you. Much love to you, rebbetzin... What beautiful & deep words have been expressed here. ✨

    ReplyDelete
  5. so sorry for your loss.I also tried to say goodbye to my father 5 months into my aliyah.He died while I was travelling to say goodbye.May your abba have a big aliyah. You wrote beautifully from the depths of your soul.sending love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg am i moved; message for anyone who has lost parent or spouse. gone to the essence of your
    soul.........that someday you wuld have to go....... message for us all. miriam fishman los angeles

    ReplyDelete
  7. המקום ינחם אתכם בתוך שאר אבלי ציון וירושלים.
    This is a beautiful poem. Soon soon we will all be united again when Moshiach will come.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crying with you sweet Chana! Such a beautiful illustration of your love and devotion to your Abba. Baruch haShem for your father and the love you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful and heartfelt. Your father would have been proud of you, as I am sure he was so many times before. Special poem, especially not being your first language. Made the garden you are planting in his name honor his memory, and be a place for you to visit with his spirit. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BS"D
    So sorry to hear about your father's passing away! But what a moving, eloquent, and heartfelt poem to memorialize it! Whoever has lost a father can relate. HaMakom Yenachem Es'chem b'soch she'ar aveilei Tzion v'Yerushalayim.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wishing you beautiful memories and nechama from Hashem.
    Thank you for sharing your deep and beautiful emotions.
    With love ❤️❤️❤️ Debbie Fliegelman

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this, Chana Bracha. Though my own beloved Father passed 38 years ago, you wrote so tenderly, that I could feel him again.
    May you continue to feel his love and influence. may you be comforted from Above. And may his lovely soul rise high in aliyah. with love, Yicara Weisskoff, Har Nof

    ReplyDelete